Most drug treatment facilities have a standard set of activities that carry the day for the patients at the centre.
The structure and organization in inpatient treatment facilities provide a safe and supportive environment for the patient and at the same time reduces uncertainty and tension. There may be slight variations in the daily activities, but the general layout remains the same.
Morning session: Heavy morning meals and meetings in the early morning hours.
Most treatment facilities do not allow for patients to sleep in so they get up early for a healthy filling breakfast. Yoga and meditation sessions are conducted in the morning to set you off in a relaxed mod.
The patients in the recovery centres are trained on better and healthier lifestyle routines that they should carry on to their sober lives after treatment.
Group meetings conducted by a counsellor or a therapist are run after breakfast. Topics discussed include the process of treatment, addiction, recovery and the 12 steps program. The issues and situations that led to drug abuse and addiction are also addressed.
These sessions are helpful to the patient by establishing harmful habits that cause one to abuse the drug and hence learn techniques of avoiding them.
Midday: Everyday therapy
The most intense treatment is conducted during the midday section.
The treatment sessions at this time include:
- One on one behavioral therapy: The most effective approaches in rehab centres are Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). It checks your reaction to particular triggers and when they are identified, you will be guided on how to develop better reactions to the triggers.
- Group sessions: Patients share their personal experiences with addiction and this provides an opportunity for emotional healing. It also provides for friendships to grow as participants develop an honest relationship and empathy for each other’s struggles.
- Specialized therapy: These sessions are tailor made for each patient according to their needs such as anger management, handling grief, ability to deal with issues as opposed to hiding behind alcohol or drugs.
- Family sessions: The entire family is affected in one way or the other by drug addiction. These sessions help the family address any emotions that are associated with the substance addiction. Family members are also your support network during and after treatment and therefore, it is prudent for them to know how to handle you.
Testimonials by addicts who have fully recovered are shared in some sessions to encourage those going through the treatment.
Some other forms of alternative treatment are provided in some treatment facilities such as art, music and dance therapies, neurofeedback, biofeedback, exercise and equine therapies.
- Your own free time sessions
Each patient has some few hours in the afternoon for them to do with as they please. Games, sports, prayers, meditation and reading are some of the activities that they engage in.
Evening hours: 12 step sessions
A brief session after dinner maybe conducted as a way of ending the day in a structured manner. 12 steps programs are conducted at this time. They provide a secure environment that is anonymous for participants to share and express their challenges. Good friendships are also formed in these sessions where participants can rely on each other to remaining sober for the rest of their lives.
Turning in for sleep at the rehab centre is at a reasonable hour to allow for enough sleep and rest for the patients in readiness for the next day sessions.